In the wake of U.S. President Donald Trump’s decree to blacklist Chinese electronics Manufacturer Huawei from trading within the Land of Liberty last week, American based tech giant Google has barred the Asian company from transferring its hardware and using its software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing.
What this means, according to Reuters, is that next generation Huawei devices will not be able to receive updates and technical support from Google’s Android operating system. The devices will similarly lack popular Google apps such as Play store, Gmail and YouTube.
Reuters however reports that the suspension by Google will not affect current Huawei devices in the market that were launched prior to the Trump blacklisting.
As reported by the international news organization, in anticipation of having it barred from using the android system as a result of punitive actions from the Trump administration Huawei had already started working on its own operating system which has already been tested out in China.
Apart from creating its own operating system, Huawei was confident prior to the suspension that it could still have access to the android operating system available through the open source license.
“No matter what happens, the Android Community does not have any legal right to block any company from accessing its open-source license,” Eric Xu, rotating Chairman of Huawei told Reuters in March.
The suspension is projected to greatly affect the sale of Huawei devices especially in markets outside China such as Africa and Europe and this is expected to upset Huawei’s bid to dethrone rival phone maker Samsung as the number one smartphone manufacturer and retailer in the world.
Apart from Google, Bloomberg on Sunday reported that chipmakers including Intel Corp, Qualcomm Inc, Xilinx Inc and Broadcom Inc have told their employees they will not supply critical software and components to Huawei until further notice though the matter is yet to be confirmed.